Saturday, January 11, 2014

So Completely Thankful!

I feel like I've been pretty pessimistic and negative lately, so it's time for a thankful post.  And boy, am I thankful!

These are all pregnancy related, because that's pretty much my life right now.  (Tanner is still a great little kid, but he's teething his last 3 molars and that's not fun.  Also, there is a lot to complain about military related things, but I'm not going to do that)

The differences between this pregnancy and Tanner's are so crazy!  I am thankful for every single one! Well, almost every one.  The 9 month long morning sickness, and extreme insomnia I can pass on.

*I've gained 17 pounds.  This time with Tanner, I was up 55 pounds! (60 total at delivery).  After re-reading some of my posts from that time I am absolutely certain I had pre-eclampsia.  My swelling was so bad, and I had all the other symptoms, too.  I am swelling now, too, but it's just normal pregnancy swelling.  My ankles and my face are swollen.  But that's it.  I still have my rings on.  I'm also carrying Wesley a lot different than I did with Tanner.  I can STILL wear pre-pregnancy jeans! But most of my maternity shirts barely cover my belly button!  I'm really only belly this time, and with Tanner I got big everywhere.  Here's a comparison picture. 


I always hid my face in pictures when I was pregnant with Tanner.  My face is swollen here (especially my nose) in the second picture, too, but I don't care anymore.
*My heartburn with Tanner was horrible.  I was already halfway through my second bottle of Pepcid Complete by this time.  I still have 1/3 left in my first bottle now.  Don't get me wrong, when I do get it, it's really painful, but it's nowhere near as bad.  

*This time, my hormones are normal!  Except when I watch a sad TV show/movie or something like that.  No crazy mood swings this time.  

*After Tanner was born my belly was very angry with stretch marks all over.  Big, deep, red stretch marks.  They are all light and silver now.  But I have no new stretch marks.  I keep looking for them, but they have stayed away so far!

*I'm also feeling great.  Just overall great.  I have bad hip pain here and there, but it's nothing I can't handle.  I could literally stay pregnant for another 3 months. (Only if insomnia would disappear!) I'm so thankful for this.  I was really worried I would feel the same way I did with my first pregnancy.  There is no way I could chase after Tanner feeling like I did.  Thank you, God! I appreciate it!

*But what I am MOST thankful this week is my family and friends.  After my last appointment and blog post I vented to my friends.  These women I have known for almost 3 years.  They are all a part of a December Mom's group I joined when I was pregnant with Tanner.  We broke away from the bump and joined Facebook.  And we've only gotten closer and closer. But on Wednesday I talked to one of those wonderful ladies and she told me they all got together and raised money for me to hire a doula.  I was beyond speechless and amazed!  After I got off the phone with her I bawled.  I don't know how I can thank them enough!  

I've spoken with the doula, and I really, really like her!  I was actually looking at her website when I was in my first trimester and wondering if we would be able to hire a doula.  We will meet next week, and I will report back on how that goes.

Having a doula is going to be nothing short of amazing.  She is our (Nick and my) advocate. She will be with us during my labor and delivery.  She is skilled in ways to support the laboring mother.  Whether that is special massage or acupressure during contractions for pain control, helping with position changes to get a baby (especially a posterior baby) to descend, or saying encouraging and motivating words to help the woman work through contractions.  Even if I end up with an epidural she will be able to help me get into the correct positions to keep what happened with Tanner from happening again this time.  

I might actually be able to stay home as long as I can with her help.  And if I end up with a c-section again after being in labor, it will be ok.  Knowing I had the support from my family, friends, and the help of a doula, I will have done everything I could have done. (Chiropractor care being the only exception)

I only worry about going into labor in the middle of the night and having to call and wake her up.  I absolutely hate doing that.  And I've realized it stems from working night shifts and having to call doctors in the middle of the night.  They were usually always upset and grumpy.  But I'm sure if I actually go into labor on my own I will be more than thrilled. FINGERS CROSSED!!! 

I am actually looking forward to this next chapter now.  Before I was absolutely terrified.  I know this is the work of God.  He is helping me get though this.  Once again, I thank Him, my family, and my friends!  I love you, all!




2 comments:

  1. So glad you have a doula! It's going to help tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! So glad that you have some peace of mind and can try to enjoy these last weeks as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete